My theory on the cause of Multiple Sclerosis
InnocuousMe
2003-11-06 03:14:08 UTC
Well this is my theory on how Multiple Sclerosis originates in the
first place. It could just be fate but somehow I think that fate would
have more to say on the CAUSE of such a devastating disease. I think
that eating bad food more often than not and a dose of excess stress
would have to do it in a nushell.

Just know that I have MS & contracted it at the age of 18 yrs a
couple years ago. For humankind's children, I would recommend from the
bottom of my heart not to feed them unnatural, careening to the
non-organic foods.

And how to alleviate the sickness I would say to lower your
cholesterol in some way via drugs possibly. This may be wrong but I
would also be willing to bet that MS patients more often than not did
tend to eat not so healthy foods. Just my 2 bits, Da_WEB
Jennifer
2003-11-06 03:29:11 UTC
make me vomit,

go spam elsewhere.

I eat an unhealthy diet and im 100% my normal self. And I have even lost
weight.

I hate shit like this on days when I'm tired

Jen
David SH
2003-11-06 19:39:43 UTC
Here here.

Don't you just hate being lectured, esp by the ill-informed.

Rgds

David

--------------------
Campath-1h - my experience of it.
http://www.btinternet.com/~campath/
-------------------
Gary Stone
2003-11-07 17:43:46 UTC
Post by Jennifer
make me vomit,
go spam elsewhere.
I eat an unhealthy diet and im 100% my normal self. And I have even lost
weight.
I hate shit like this on days when I'm tired
Jen
It's all that shit and bacteria that some people put in the ground to grow
all that "Naturally Organic" food. Cause MS? no. Remember that saying, "You
are what you eat." My point???? "Shit happens."

MOGG
Mean Old Gary Gimp
Michael
2003-11-06 05:12:34 UTC
Post by InnocuousMe
I think
that eating bad food more often than not and a dose of excess stress
would have to do it in a nushell.
I was eating largely fully-organic foods that I grew, hunted, fished and
gathered myself in a nearly pristine, rainforested wilderness on a remote
North Pacific island when I was diagnosed with MS... that was 8 years ago.

Despite the fact that it's possible the things you mention make some
contribution to MS morbidity, your theory that they *cause* it is completely
out to lunch.
Post by InnocuousMe
And how to alleviate the sickness I would say to lower your
cholesterol in some way via drugs possibly.
I'm in better overall shape now than I was when I was diagnosed. I eat over
2 pounds of cheese and nearly half a pound of chocolate every week without
fail.

This may not be good for my coronary or carotid arteries (even though I'll
be 44 soon, and my cholesterol and resting blood pressure and heart-rate are
still those of a young athlete,) but my MS is not much affected by it,
apparently.

((U))
Jennifer
Michael

Joan Carter
2003-11-06 20:20:44 UTC
Post by Jennifer
im thinkin i might have to pick up the chocolate. I'm neglecting that part
of my diet
Jenny! I'm shocked. I thought it was the number one item on Canada's Food Guide.
Michael told me. <snicker>

---
Joan

Beware of trolls named ironjustice, Dudley D., and others.
Jim Carter
2003-11-06 21:34:57 UTC
Post by Joan Carter
Jenny! I'm shocked. I thought it was the number one item on Canada's Food Guide.
Michael told me. <snicker>
Our doctor said it was Tim Horton donuts (before they were bought out by
Wendy's).
---
This message prepared using voice recognition technology. There
may be 'air roars'.
Gaylan
2003-11-08 07:00:53 UTC
Post by Jim Carter
Post by Joan Carter
Jenny! I'm shocked. I thought it was the number one item on Canada's Food Guide.
Michael told me. <snicker>
Our doctor said it was Tim Horton donuts (before they were bought out by
Wendy's).
---
This message prepared using voice recognition technology. There
may be 'air roars'.
The real problem with Tim's donuts is that they are now made in one place,
frozen, and shipped around the country. Die-hard donut eaters are drifting
away from Tim's.

Gaylan
Rose i k
CW

Michael

Cara Wagner
2003-11-07 03:24:51 UTC
Michael,

I've got no real theories, I'm just sick of snake oil sellers. I go through
Cowboy's and Paul's posts and websites for hope.

I'm a little short of that right now. Cara fell this evening. I had to
call EMTs to assist in lifting her off of the floor. She was alternately
calling for help and yelling not to touch her, and she became verbally
abusive to me and to our 10-year old son.

I found out from him that Cara has fallen at least four times that I did not
know about in the past year. She denied those incidents happened. I'm sure
that she'll deny that tonight's event happened. I have already called our
GP's voicemail and asked for a script for a portable Hoyer lift.

I'm really upset at Cara's Queen of Denial act.

CW, on Cara's computer.
Glen Appleby
2003-11-07 11:25:38 UTC
On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 03:24:51 GMT, in
alt.support.mult-sclerosis,"Cara Wagner"
Post by Cara Wagner
I'm a little short of that right now. Cara fell this evening. I had to
call EMTs to assist in lifting her off of the floor. She was alternately
calling for help and yelling not to touch her, and she became verbally
abusive to me and to our 10-year old son.
I found out from him that Cara has fallen at least four times that I did not
know about in the past year. She denied those incidents happened. I'm sure
that she'll deny that tonight's event happened. I have already called our
GP's voicemail and asked for a script for a portable Hoyer lift.
I'm really upset at Cara's Queen of Denial act.
Having fallen in the past few months, perhaps I can help with
understanding a bit.

Kathy would always ask "What can I do?"

Because I weigh 200# (=/- 10%) and she has a bad back, I'd always
answer "Nothing!" I didn't want her to hurt herself. I didn't
think that anybody would be able to lift 200# of dead weight,
without hurting themself or me.

Until I had to call the paramedics to help me from the car and
into the house (after the ER just sent me home *knowing* that I
couldn't walk, stand or transfer).

The other aspect of this is that I have always had a strong sense
of independence. I *wanted* to be able to do it myself, even if
it took a lot of time for me to accomplish it.

Now, I don't know if either of these factors is relevant to your
wife, but they caused me to respond much as you describe her
response.

--
"Who we are and who we become depends, in part, on whom we love."
-- "A General Theory Of Love" Thanks, Mom
Glen Appleby ***@armory.com <HTTP://www.armory.com/~glena/>
rose dawn scott
2003-11-09 16:43:39 UTC
"Cara Wagner" <***@att.net> wrote in message news:<7gEqb.208509$***@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

hi CW,

I'm really sorry to hear about your wife's problems and the stress
it's putting on you. the things glen mentioned about the possible
reasons for a person with m.s. to hide problems or deny they need help
are things i've found to be very true in my own case [with the
exception of the spouse being unable to lift you without getting hurt
-- even my daughter could lift me up, it wouldn't be difficult for
her, just embarrassing for me].

i know you've talked about working long hours, she may feel guilty
about that, and not want to make your time at home worse by turning it
into 'slips and symptoms.' what glen said about 'why bring it up, when
there's nothing you can do about it?' was a big one for me. there
ultimately isn't anything dennis can do about neuro pain or increasing
mobility problems, for instance. independence too -- if i CAN do
something without assistance, then I WANT to. it's an attitude my doc
basically agrees with. the problems come up when i THINK I can do
something just fine without help...and turn out to be wrong.

a problem that i had with trying to hide from my family for a while --
and i'm not implying that it's something you or anyone else does, just
my own specific circumstances -- was that they would see me misjudge
something i'd thought i was ok with, and then assume or fear that i
was hiding things from them, and bug me about it so much it started to
feel like they were constantly stalking me down saying 'WHAT'S WRONG?'
click 'WHAT'S WRONG?' click like caring robots or something. when i
said 'nothings' wrong,' they didn't believe it. sometimes the fatigue
is worse and i just want to lie down and veg, or maybe it's been a
tough day and i just want to put on the headphones and de-stress for a
while, rather than talking about what a tough day it's been. get past
the focus on 'me, me, me' and get into family time, you know what i'm
saying? dennis and tam have lives and joys and sorrows of their own,
and i want to be part of their lives, as well as having them be part
of mine. [poorly stated, hoping you get the drift, tho.]

what finally helped most with that was i had to sit down with them
both and give them my most solemn oath -- not really an overstatement,
i'm surprised they didn't make me sign anything in blood! -- that, if
i really needed help with something or couldn't do something, i would
tell them, and ask for their help, if in turn, they quit trying to
'catch' me overdoing it. i've got a bad case of stubbornness
masquerading as pride, so i really do hate to ask, but i'm serious
about the silly-sounding 'my promise is my bond' stuff, so i've done
my part. everything from the dumb -- 'can you open this pickle jar for
me?' -- to the humiliating -- 'uhmm, sweetie, i can't get off the
toilet, can you help?' they've done their part too, and there's a lot
less stress all the way around.

the big problem is, and i'm sure you know it, having lived with M.S.
even tho you don't have it yourself, the unpredictability. most days,
i'm able to gimp almost a mile to the nearest bus stop, with the help
of my scariest cane. so how come sometimes i fall down unexpectedly
in my own house? i don't know. probably attention -- it's hard to
concentrate fully all the time and never let your mind wander.
something i learned the need for in the kitchen, with numbness, after
having cut and burned my hand a few times. even still, knowing the
importance, sometimes the mind wanders.

that's from my perspective as a stubbornly independent person with
M.S. -- but my perspective as a parent says that it CAN'T be good for
a child as young as your boy is, to see his mom fall down and have
problems; it's got to be pretty scary for him. IF there's also a
'don't tell daddy because he'll just get worried,' the little guy
might be feeling torn-up -- is it bad to worry dad and snitch mom out,
or is it bad to feel relief that dad knows, because you're been so
worried about mom? a pretty big burden for a little kid to try to
carry on his own.

does cara's neuro permit or encourage family visits and family
quesions? i know my neuro encouraged both my daughter and dennis to
feel free to ask him questions. he took a lot of time with my
daughter, reassuring her when she was little, answering in more depth
when she got older. does your local society have a kids' group for
children whose parents have M.S.? Tam went to one when she was little
and i was newly-dx'd, and she liked it very much. our local society
also had a 'couples group,' for m.s. person plus spouse -- anything
like that in your area?

sure sucks that there are no easy answers. i understand where she's
coming from, but also really feel for you and your child. as a mom,
she needs to come to the realization that it's a lot easier for a kid
to get used to a mom in a wheelchair, or with forearm crutches, or
whatever, than to worry about her all the time and see her fall down
-- scary stuff for a kid.

no real wisdom here, just wishing you all the best,
rose
Glen Appleby
2003-11-10 17:41:49 UTC
On 9 Nov 2003 08:43:39 -0800, in
Post by rose dawn scott
I'm really sorry to hear about your wife's problems and the stress
it's putting on you. the things glen mentioned about the possible
reasons for a person with m.s. to hide problems or deny they need help
are things i've found to be very true in my own case [with the
exception of the spouse being unable to lift you without getting hurt
-- even my daughter could lift me up, it wouldn't be difficult for
her, just embarrassing for me].
Ya know, I had forgotten all about the Embarrassment Fector.

[...]
Post by rose dawn scott
what finally helped most with that was i had to sit down with them
both and give them my most solemn oath -- not really an overstatement,
i'm surprised they didn't make me sign anything in blood! -- that, if
i really needed help with something or couldn't do something, i would
tell them, and ask for their help, if in turn, they quit trying to
'catch' me overdoing it.
Yes, I've done the same with Kathy and it has helped a lot. Both
me and her.
Post by rose dawn scott
i've got a bad case of stubbornness
masquerading as pride, so i really do hate to ask, but i'm serious
about the silly-sounding 'my promise is my bond' stuff, so i've done
my part. everything from the dumb -- 'can you open this pickle jar for
me?' -- to the humiliating -- 'uhmm, sweetie, i can't get off the
toilet, can you help?'
Just after my first trip to the ER, I could not move ... at
*all*. I was faced with the ultimate (so far -- more to come,
I'm sure) humiliation: having her clean my butt because (at least
for a few days) I was in diapers.
Post by rose dawn scott
the big problem is, and i'm sure you know it, having lived with M.S.
even tho you don't have it yourself, the unpredictability. most days,
i'm able to gimp almost a mile to the nearest bus stop, with the help
of my scariest cane. so how come sometimes i fall down unexpectedly
in my own house? i don't know. probably attention -- it's hard to
concentrate fully all the time and never let your mind wander.
something i learned the need for in the kitchen, with numbness, after
having cut and burned my hand a few times. even still, knowing the
importance, sometimes the mind wanders.
The Concentration Factor is why I *so* wanted to try Ritalin,
back when I could walk (it may still be of some benefit, but a
bit less so because I'm on the SEWER instead of walking). I
agree that it is *so* easy to get distracted, now.

I remember that, especially when walking, it required all of my
focus and concentration to "simply" put one foot in front of the
other and maintain my balance. Well, with the SEWER, at least
it's a bit easier.

Glen (anybody wanna race for pinks?) Appleby
laura lauth
2003-11-11 23:16:20 UTC
Just for fun, sure! Pinks, no, even if i lose I still might need it!
David SH
Islander
2003-11-06 20:53:24 UTC
Post by InnocuousMe
Well this is my theory on how Multiple Sclerosis originates in the
first place. It could just be fate but somehow I think that fate would
have more to say on the CAUSE of such a devastating disease. I think
that eating bad food more often than not and a dose of excess stress
would have to do it in a nushell.
Just know that I have MS & contracted it at the age of 18 yrs a
couple years ago. For humankind's children, I would recommend from the
bottom of my heart not to feed them unnatural, careening to the
non-organic foods.
And how to alleviate the sickness I would say to lower your
cholesterol in some way via drugs possibly. This may be wrong but I
would also be willing to bet that MS patients more often than not did
tend to eat not so healthy foods. Just my 2 bits, Da_WEB
Lets see if I have this straight?.. To avoid or treat MS I should have eaten
Iron/Not eaten Iron (can't figure that one out),, Had fatty foods, whilst
eating a healthy organic diet and taken drugs to lower my cholesterol
levels! Might just pop out and sacrifice a chicken whilst walking on hot
coals and stuffing needles into my cheeks to make sure I cover all the
bases! No mention of colonic irrigation thankfully.. but who knows! Its a
shame I am not in the (obvious) majority group of vegan, pill popping, scrap
metal merchants who eat roast suckling pig for breakfast.. I could have
avoided all this grief if only I had been told earlier!
Nice to see that this NG gets its share of wierdies too LOL.
Dave
Jim Carter
2003-11-06 21:28:29 UTC
Post by InnocuousMe
I think
that eating bad food more often than not and a dose of excess stress
would have to do it in a nushell.
There is an opposing theory that MS may be caused by being too clean. The
theory goes that our immune systems are all revved up and have nothing to do so
turn on our own bodies.

I do not know of similar experiments with MS, but here it is for Crohn's
disease, also autoimmune. <shrug>

"We propose to use a naturally occurring biological agent that appears to
modulate or modify the body’s immune system in a favorable way without side
effects or complications. The agent is an intestinal worm that is a common
inhabitant of the pig intestine, Trichuris suis. It is administered in the form
of eggs that open in the intestine, release larvae that temporarily attach to
the lining of the intestine. In the pig, the worms remain attached, mature and
produce eggs for several years. In humans, however, they only attach for a few
weeks and are rejected before they can produce eggs. There is evidence that the
worms induce an immune response that reduces or eliminates the inflammation that
is so destructive to the lining of the bowel. The worms have been shown in our
laboratory to improve experimental colitis in mice without causing damage to the
host.

In less developed countries, hundreds of millions of people are colonized with
similar worms (intestinal helminths). In these areas, there is essentially no
IBD. Conversely, in Western industrialized countries, helminths have been
mostly eliminated since the 1930’s. Meanwhile, IBD frequency has risen
concomitantly. These observations led us to perform an open trial of this
therapy in patients with IBD. Patients with both UC and Crohn's Disease (CD)
improved, and most went into remission. Although a single dose of eggs causes
only temporary benefit, repeated doses every 2-3 weeks induced prolonged
remissions in nearly every patient with no recognizable side effects or
complications. These results have encouraged us to perform a large, randomized,
blinded clinical trial in patients with UC.

This new approach to the therapy of IBD could be very useful because of the lack
of side effects. It may also increase our understanding of the basic reasons
for the disease and perhaps its therapy and prevention."
---
This message prepared using voice recognition technology. There
may be 'air roars'.
Jim Carter
2003-11-06 22:05:32 UTC
Post by Jim Carter
I do not know of similar experiments with MS, but here it is for Crohn's
disease, also autoimmune. <shrug>
Sorry, here is a much better article:

"What Is The Outlook For People With Crohn's Disease?

Every day, scientists are gaining a better understanding of Crohn's disease: its
genetic aspects, how the immune system comes to malfunction, and the mechanisms
of the relationship between infection and chronic inflammatory disease.

New medical compounds are being tested in clinical trials and promise to provide
greater relief with fewer side effects. Surgical techniques continue to be
refined, and novel therapies continue to be explored.

For example, a group of researchers has suggested that the eradication (through
modern sanitation) of a group of parasites called helminths (worms that live in
the intestinal tract) might have led to a situation in which the immune system
does not have anything to "practice" on, and so attacks its own bodily organs.

These researchers fed a group of six individuals suffering from flare-ups of
Crohn's disease a formula made up of helminths that breed in pig intestines.
Five people went into remission, the sixth experienced significant reduction of
symptoms. Since these helminths do not breed in the human gut, the researchers
could easily determine when the helminths had all been passed from the test
subjects' bodies by checking their stool samples. After the worms were gone, all
of the test subjects experienced recurrence of their symptoms.

The researchers hope to study groups of individuals who suffer from autoimmune
conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, to see if a similar
improvement in condition occurs with the helminth treatment."
---
This message prepared using voice recognition technology. There
may be 'air roars'.
Sylvia
2003-11-07 00:26:37 UTC
Post by InnocuousMe
Well this is my theory on how Multiple Sclerosis originates in the
first place. It could just be fate but somehow I think that fate would
have more to say on the CAUSE of such a devastating disease. I think
that eating bad food more often than not and a dose of excess stress
would have to do it in a nushell.
If you were right, then I wouldn't have it. I had been a vegetarian,
eating healthy food, for 11 years when I got it.

Sylvia